I was slow to the Instagram party – and so, I’m now struggling to keep up before the millions of users switch to the next hot platform. (Don’t know if there is one yet – but if you know of one, please pass on the info!)
It turns out that using each new social media platform has a learning curve – and then, of course, someone like Facebook will step in and buy the company so that they can plunder the best bits and sell advertising to a new tribe. (Personal gripe!)
I wonder if I did anything right on my own IG account? Someone mentioned that I should look at Sheila Flores – she’s got about 22K followers. So, I wandered over to look at what I can see on her feed.
- Well, on Sheila’s IG feed, the overall impression is that she’s using blue as the main theme colour. Not all the time, of course, but in a significant number of images.
- Sheila often stars in the images; thankfully, though, she’s a small figure in a much bigger landscape. She doesn’t do the pouty, pert images that I see on a lot of other feeds and I feel that she really is more interested in the places than in being the centre of attention. Sheila mostly is fully clothed – a plus! Sometimes she’s not in the photo at all.
- There are lots of comments on her photos. While Sheila obviously doesn’t answer everyone, it’s impressive how often you see that she takes the time to respond to comments.
- Descriptions of the places which Sheila features are written in Spanish and also in English. That’s also clever. Others may do the same but I haven’t encountered them yet.
- I think that there’s a lot of humour in Sheila’s photos – and many make me smile. Great idea.
- Sheila’s Instagram is all about places she’s visited. She seems to find something really quirky for several of her photos – and things which a lot of people will have seen but not everyone has taken the time to feature. We all walk past places of interest every day – but I know I forget to really look and see what’s there …. hmm.
So, that’s one Instagram account which has given me food for thought. I will try and review another account tomorrow – I have spotted something else which I like and which might be equally inspirational.